Sunday, May 30, 2010

Happy Day

This day started off fabulously and ended wonderfully too!  We had breakfast with friends, The Adams family (believe me, it's much more pleasant looking at this version of the Adams Family than the one you're thinking of) this morning and received a plethora of dahlias that Sarah divided from her stock.  I thought she had maybe 10 to 12, I bet there are 50 or more dahlia tubers in the two boxes she gave me!  I'm so excited; it looks like I'll have my rows of dahlias I was hoping for after all!  We also got to hear about their wonderful trip to Hawaii and Ben's adventures snorkeling.  It sounded absolutely amazing!  Oh and how they frequented the local Farmers' Market in Hawaii which was open every two days!  Heaven!


After breakfast, I dragged Jason to the Milwaukie Farmers' Market and got a wonderful surprise.  The "Tart Lady", more sophisticatedly known as "The Market Gourmet" is now participating in the Sunday Milwaukie Farmers' Market!  I fell in love with her Tarts and desserts at the downtown Portland Farmers' Market years ago and now she's so much closer! :)  I was also very happy to buy my first banana fingerling potatoes of the season at one of the stands.  I can't wait to dig into them tomorrow night for dinner.



Then we came home, started the burn pile and took a nap.  I know, that doesn't sound very safe and responsible, but believe me, everything is so unbelievably drenched (and it's still raining) that it's not going anywhere.

This afternoon we laid out the lines for the berry vines.  We couldn't get the tractor three point to work, so we didn't get the posts placed, but we at least have the plan in place. I also got the little "tent" of hog panels set up for the peas.  In the past, I've just had one row, but I decided to lean two panels together like an A-frame and plant them on both sides.  I also have a row in the middle, that's been started for two weeks, so I'm going to tie twine from the top and drop it down for those plants to climb.  I hope it all works out as planned.  I'll let you know of course.  :)  In the meantime, Jason finished the additional tomato cages we needed and I planted flowers until it was too dark to see my own hands.  Today was heavenly.  I find myself feeling like childish, wanted to shirk responsibility and spend my days playing, only now, I long to play in the garden instead of the playground.

Last but not least I received a wonderful e-mail from the mother of the bride from the wedding I did yesterday.  She said the flowers were gorgeous and that I outdid myself!  That makes me so happy!

Have a Happy Memorial Day!

1 comment: