Sunday, May 2, 2010

Weeding

They say a weed is just a flower in disguise.   I put that phrase to the test today when I very fastidiously pulled out every bit of this "weed" I could find.  When my friend Kelly and I took a break and went to a local perennial plant sale I was horrified to realize I had just very diligently pulled out every bit of my gooseneck loosestrife.
Lysimachia clethroides
I'm so sad!  I replanted some of the roots Kelly and I could salvage from the compost pile, but that poor little plant was doing absolutely beautifully and I ripped every bit of it out that I could find.  I just couldn't recognize it.  Shame on me for not marking things.  I'm going to have to go the route of placing a little stake in the ground next to my plants.  That and putting mulch down so the ground doesn't get so weed ridden that I can't tell my plants from the weeds.

So here is the after pic I promised yesterday:
No, there is no reason for the little belt of weeds left in the middle.  We simply each had a section to work and gave out before we cleared it to the middle.  We decided to go for something that was a little more instant gratification- the beds that have been covered with bark chips so there were only a few weeds to pull.  So we successfully cleared 1/4 of the flower bed and two veggie rows.
I think this picture pretty much shows I was in 7th heaven.



Oh and my wonderful neighbor Kendra stopped by to invite me to the Master Gardner Plant Sale in Canby, but I was knee deep in the project so I decided not to go.  She's decided not to plant a garden this year so she offered to help in ours.  I love that idea and I'm sure we'll have more than enough produce to share!   I'm all for that of course!  This promises to be a fabulous summer! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment