Sunday, April 25, 2010

Which one would you rather lay?


One of my poor sweet chickens had to lay this monster egg!  Actually, they do on a regular basis.  I don't hear much squawking though, so I guess she's ok.  And the one on the left is actually good news, because it means that one of the chickens that hasn't been laying has started up again. Yay!  Since I now have about 3 customers that routinely want 2 dozen or a dozen and 1/2.  

This was another great weekend!  I got to take Christian and Alaina and my mom to the movies, again to see "How to Train Your Dragon".  It was worth it to hear them laugh to see it for a second time.  I love the movie though, so it wasn't a problem anyway.  
Then today I tilled more of the garden and we put the hops lines up the pole.
The hops are doing really well and we're hoping for a great yield this year.  Jason also built a new planter box.  I'm so excited!  I really didn't think I was going to get the new planter boxes this year, but he's going gang busters on them.  He just built one today.  I'll post a picture of it soon.  Right now it's just a frame.  I also bought a few new trees from the Kiwanis tree sale.  Two Santa Rosa Plums and I can't remember the name of the apple tree I bought.  They always have great deals, so it's worth it to watch for the sale to come around.  

Look at the lovely little surprise I found in the grass today.  I can't remember the name of the catepiller, so I'll have to look it up later.  They're so determined, just inching through the grass.  I wonder how far they can travel?

Emma joined me by the barn today during my morning chores.  
She was also witness to my ridiculous frustration with Maude when I couldn't get her to go into the pasture this morning.   She doesn't even care that I have grain; she'll have none of it!  Harold, the fatty, however, doesn't hesitate.  Oh well, someday we'll have shelter for them in the pasture and I won't have to endure this silly routine!
Think this looks scrumptious?  Me neither, It's just a little bit of scrambled egg, broccoli and egg shell
but the girls loved it!.  In case you're wondering about the egg shell... No, I'm not crazy.  Chickens actually benefit from eating shell because of the calcium it contains.  It helps make their egg shells stronger.  It's the same with oyster shell you free-feed them.  Anyway, they finished off every last little morsel!

Hope you have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment