Sunday, March 7, 2010

New Baby Chicks!!!

I experienced the best surprise last night when I went out to feed and check on the chickens.  Our little broody has hatched 4 little chicks!  I had purchased 6 fertilized eggs for her, but I've never done this before, so I didn't know if it would actually work out.  I'm so excited!  I ran inside as fast as I could to get Jason... and the camera!  :)



 There's still one egg to go, we're still waiting to see if that one hatches.
I put a little rabbit waterer in the crate with them and a little dish with starter grower feed.  It's cool to see how quickly they learn from momma what to eat.  Now I'm going through the dilemma, to vaccinate or not to vaccinate.  Anyway, they seem to be doing great and she really is a great little momma, so protective. :)


I can't wait to see if the next one will hatch.  :)   Hope you enjoyed the pics, even though they're a little fuzzy.  I think it's a little apropos.  :) 


2 comments:

  1. Aww!!! They are so cute! I can't wait to show the boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what they think. The little girls (at least I'm hoping they're all girls) have the cutest habit of jumping up on her back. I swear they think they're swans! :)

    ReplyDelete