Monday, September 28, 2009

Very busy weekend...

This weekend was awesome!... Full of work accomplished but I still managed to squeeze in a few visits with friends.  I've heard or read somewhere that my name means "industrious bee".  My mother couldn't have known I would live up to it, but I feel I have.  Much to my husband's chagrin, I squeeze everything I possibly can into every day; and this weekend was no exception.

Busted!


Look at the pile of eggs I found behind a couple of rubbermaid containers that some of the stubborn Lakenvelder chickens insist on roosting on.  I had one of our chickens hide eggs before.  She had convinced us that we lost her and by the time we found her, she had acumulated a pile of 26 eggs.  Luckily this time, I found them before they went bad.

We also harvested honey this weekend.  We removed the boxes weeks ago, but we rented the extractor and "jarred" our honey today.  It's absolutely beautiful.  I feel a little guilty though, stealing the fruits of their labor and consuming it so quickly! 



I also had a small flower job this weekend, 8 centerpieces for mom's board meeting.  Then I moved the rock pile from the back yard, had bark dust delivered, rototilled above the retaining wall, moved some compost up there from the compost pile, rototilled again, We got a ton & 1/2 of hay yesterday and put that away.  I changed out the bees Apigaurd, moved the straw bales out from in front of their hives.  I think I'd rather find another way to block the wind.  There were mouse tunnels through the bales and I don't really want to encourage mice that close to the hives..  They'll be a nice addition to the compost pile though. Went to Amy's for an Envy party, didn't find any jeans that fit, but bought a little clutch.  Then stopped by and visited with Mike and the boys.  I got to feed them and spent a little time crawling around with them.  They're so cute!   Jas' and I drove the flowers for the board dinner down to Salem tonight, got to seem my mom for a nice little short visit.  :)  And now I lay here with very heavy eyelids, not wanting to get up early in the morning. :)

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm tired just reading that! Very productive weekend. I need one of those ...

    The honey is so beautiful - I love that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I love the color of the honey, especially with the sunlight through it! :) I can't wait to stack up a few jars at the harvest party.
    I swear, everytime I see a picture of Ben and Ry I just can't wait to meet them! I hope they won't be too shy around all the strangers. :) There will be lots of kids here though, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

    ReplyDelete