Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

We welcomed the new year with a couple of new traditions...  We joined friends, Travis and Sarah at their home with their boys Ben and Ry and Jason's co-worker Kate for a nice quiet New Year Celebration.  Ben introduced us to a Spanish tradition; you eat 1 grape for the last 8 seconds of the year.  It was totally fun as we all sat there popping grapes into our mouths, smiling and laughing at each other and trying not to choke!  It turns out, (as Travis looked it up online) that the tradition is actually 12 grapes.  It's thought to secure happiness for the 12 months of the coming year.  I LOVE traditions.  Ben was so cute; smiling, trying to keep his mouth closed around those 8 grapes.  I'm guessing his teacher taught him 8 because he didn't want them to choke on the full 12 grapes!  :)

My next New Year's experience is that I tried my hand at making a German pancake this morning.  I sold some eggs to my friend Ginger England yesterday and she said she was going to use them for German pancakes.  I was really intrigued, so she sent me the recipe.  It turned out great!  I would like to try next time with cake flour (that rises better).  Still, it turned out beautiful! :)

Happy New Year to you and yours.  I hope your New Year's traditions are wonderful!  Share them with me if you think of it!

1 comment:

  1. So nice to have you join us! Ben was up at 6:45 New Year's Day, despite his late night. Your pancake turned out great. I'll have to try that soon.

    ReplyDelete